For more information, please contact:
50 North Street
Manorville, NY 11949
Manorville was formerly called Punk’s Hole. The hole still exists about 1,000 feet south of Hot Water Street, just east of its intersection with Halsey Manor Road where a Revolutionary War captain was rumored to have hid from the British. The hamlet was given its current name in 1844 when the Long Island Rail Road built a station at Manorville and named it "St. George's Manor". The station agent, Seth Raynor, was a patriot during the Revolutionary War, detested the label “St. George’s Manor” because of its association with the English monarchy. One afternoon, he saw his wife painting the fence at his home. He took the paint can and brush and painted over the sign reading "St. George's Manor", leaving only the word "Manor". Subsequently, it was changed to Manorville by the Post Office.